This feature is only available for Boutique plans or higher.
In this article, we explain all about our custom metrics feature. A custom metric allows you to calculate your own metrics. You can, for example, combine multiple metrics to create a single value, or adjust a metric's value.
Some things to keep in mind when using this feature:
- Metrics must be from the same data source to be combined.
- You can only combine metrics that are from the same category.
- A custom metric can be added at the report level only.
There are several routes to get to the interface to create a custom metric for your data source:
- When creating or editing a widget, on the Dimensions & Metrics tab, you can click the button “Edit fields” below the metrics input field.
- When adding a data source to your report, instead of saving the data source, click the button “Save and edit fields” at the top right.
- You can add a custom metric to an existing data source by hovering over the data source at the right side, and clicking the three-dots menu icon that appears. There select “Edit fields”.
All of these routes will bring you to the custom metrics settings where you can create custom fields and update existing ones.
How does it work?
Once in the custom metrics settings, you’ll see the categories that are available for the integration. These categories are the same as also available when creating a widget for the integration. This also means that when you create a custom metric for a category, it’s only available in widgets created from that category. (image showing the categories in custom fields settings and categories in widgets side by side)
Choose the category for which you want to create your custom field. If you don’t see the category you want to use, you can click the “>” and “+” icons if available to see and select one of the other available categories:
Create a custom field
To create a custom field, click “Add custom field”. A sidebar will open where you can set up your field.
In the “Create formula” input field, you can set up the formula for your custom field.
With the “Add metric” button you can select a metric to use in your formula:
After selecting the metric, it will appear in your formula. You can add additional metrics, and type operators and static values manually in the input field to complete your formula:
The buttons to the right of the “Add metric” buttons are the operators that are available to use for your formula. You can either use these buttons or type these operators manually.
Edit a custom field
To edit a custom field, click the three-dots menu icon at the right of the field definition and click “Edit”.
A sidebar will open where you can edit the name and formula of your field.
Besides this, in the main overview you can also alter the type of your metric. Available options are:
- USD ($)
- EUR (€)
- GBP (£)
Then, there’s the option to make sure “change” is handled correctly when using comparison. The options for this are:
- Higher is better: When the metric increased in comparison to the comparison period, this is a positive change.
- Higher is worse: When the metric increased in comparison to the comparison period, this is a negative change.
Delete a custom field
To delete a custom field, click the three-dots menu icon at the right of the field definition and click “Delete”:
Use your custom field
To use your custom field, create a new widget for the integration you added the field to. Make sure to select a widget from the category of your created field.
On the “Dimensions & Metrics” tab of the widget's settings, you can then search and select your custom field:
Click “Save settings” to see the result of your created formula:
And that's all there is to it!