There are several places where you add a connection with our integrations:
- From the Connections page
- When adding or editing widgets
- In draft reports and clients
We will explain what methods of authentication are currently used by our data providers, and show you exactly how to add a connection in all of the above-mentioned places.
Connecting an account
Each data provider has their own way to authenticate their users, and currently, in our system, you'll find the following three authentication methods:
- Login through data provider: This one is most used. The data provider provides a popup that contains their website, in which you'll be prompted to log in (if you aren't yet) and accept permissions. Once you've done that, they will confirm you've given permissions and provide us a single token. This token we can then use to fetch the statistics, based on the accepted permissions. Note that we only request the permissions we actually need for the statistics, so please make sure to accept all permissions asked for.
- API Key/token: Some integrations work with API tokens. These can be single tokens or a combination of a so-called "keys" and "secrets". How to find these, can often be found in the help documentation of the integration itself. If you can't find it, contact the Support team of the data provider (e.g. Pingdom) and they will be able to help you further!
- Username/password: Some data providers only allow authentication with username/password. When this is the case, we have to store these credentials in our database, but as you might expect: we encrypt the password in our database, so nobody can read or use it for other purposes.
When connecting through any of the places mentioned earlier, one of these authentication methods will be used depending on the data provider.
For some data providers, there are some things to take into account before connecting them to Swydo. For these, we have made separate pages explaining the details:
This is the most straightforward way to add a new connection. To get to the Connections page, click your user icon at the top right and select Connections.
There, all of our integrations and existing connections are shown.
To add a new connection, click on the blue Connect an account button for the integration you want to add a connection for. Or if you already have a connection for the integration, click Connect another account. Once you've followed all of the steps in the popup that appears after clicking the button, the account will be connected and can be used in widgets.
Adding a connection through a widget
If during working on a report you realize you need to add another connection, you can also do this directly when adding a widget. To do so, click on an Insert button and choose Widget or KPI. There, select the data provider you want to add a new connection for.
Note that you can do the same while you're editing a widget, by clicking Add a data source on the Data source tab of the widget's settings.