Report templates allow you to create a reusable template with widgets and KPIs. You can create reports from the templates and any changes you make to the template are automatically reflected in all of those reports!
Besides this, the general widget's settings are set in the template but some of the filters are only editable in the reports! This way you can really display exactly what each client wants.
In this article we'll go over the following things:
- Create a template
- Data source options
- Linked/unlinked text widget
Create a template
Creating a template works the same way as creating a report. The only difference is that you do not see any data in the widgets yet. This comes when you create a report from the template.
To create a template, go to Reports in the left-hand menu and then click on Report Templates at the top of the page. There click on the green Add a template button to start creating your template.
A template will instantly be created. The title of the template will default to "Nameless title". To edit this, click on the title at the top of the page.
Other options to setup in the template are:
- Header: The header options allow you to decide what information you want to show on the header or cover page (depending on the export format). To read more about editing the header, click here.
- Create a report: Click this to create a report for the template. The options shown are the same when creating a report from scratch, with the template already filled in.
- Copy template: If you want to have a similar template, you can copy the template to alter it
- Template language: The language to use in the reports by default. You can overrule this on report basis if needed.
- Date range: The date range to use in the reports by default. You can overrule this on report basis if needed.
- Compare date range: The compare date range to use in the reports by default. You can overrule this on report basis if needed.
- Brand template: The brand template to use in the reports by default. You can overrule this on report basis if needed. Read more about brand templates here.
After filling the template with widgets and creating a report from it, to go back to editing the report template click on Click here to edit at the top of the report:
Unlink the report from the template
Besides the option to edit the template, you can also choose to unlink the report from the template by clicking unlink it. Use this option when you no longer want the report to be automatically updated with changes made in the template.
Note that once you've unlinked your report, you cannot re-link it to the template! If you want to use the template again for the report, you have to create a new one from the template.
Data source options
When adding widgets and KPIs, on the "Data source" tab you'll find different options than you normally would in your report.
- Choose later: Choose a data source for the widget in the reports created from them.
- A client's data source: Use the default data source setup in the client connected to the report. If unavailable, you'll have the ability to manually set a data source for the widget in the reports. (Recommended)
- A project's data source: Use the default data source setup in the project connected to the report. If unavailable, you'll have the ability to manually set a data source for the widget in the reports.
If selecting a client's data source, make sure you setup default data sources for your clients. How you can do this, is explained here!
The pros of using client and project data sources is that as soon as you create a report from the template, and connect a client to it, all widgets will automatically take over the correct data sources for the clients. This saves a lot of time, having to do this manually for your reports.
Linked/unlinked text widget
Text widgets are widgets you can use to add text to your reports. When using report templates, you can choose whether you want the text widget to be linked or unlinked to the template:
- Linked: Linked text widgets can only be edited in the report template. Any changes made to these will automatically be reflected in all reports linked to the template.
- Unlinked: Unlinked text widgets can only be edited in the individual reports. This allows you to create client specific summaries in your reports.
To link/unlink a text widget, click on the link icon that appears at the right side of the text widget when hovering over it in the template: